The Canadian Mental Health Association Peel Dufferin Branch (CMHA Peel Dufferin) is pleased to announce that we are recruiting for the position of a Registered Nurse.
The Outreach program support individuals in accordance with the Housing First philosophy of immediate access to permanent housing with no readiness requirements, consumer choice and self-determination, recovery orientation, individualized and client driven supports, and social/community integration.
As part of the Outreach Team, the Registered Nurse will provide primary nursing care to clients of the program. This position will have the opportunity to be involved in the operation of our Mobile Health Clinic including partnership-based community health initiatives, including flu vaccination and COVID-19 testing.
This is a full-time permanent position with working 37.5 hours a week. The position is based in Brampton and reports to the Manager, Outreach.
Salary range is $63,600 - $73,600 per year
CMHA Peel Dufferin offers a competitive overall compensation package which includes:
Four weeks paid vacation (accrued) per year, eighteen paid personal days (accrued) per year Two paid Flexible Days annually, HOOPP pension plan, Professional Development opportunities within the agency, Excellent benefits including Heath and Dental coverage, Employee Family Assistance Program and access to a Wellness Fund benefit.
- Providing comprehensive nursing care as part of the Peel Outreach Mobile Health Clinic Team.
- Work autonomously and utilize clinical judgment in providing care to Clients of the Program.
- RNs have access to access to both contracted and external physician(s) who are available to provide care. The RN will take the lead role or participate in providing medication administration and other medical services under the direction of the prescribing physician or Nurse Practitioner.
- Administering flu vaccinations and COVID swab testing as needed.
- Supporting clients by facilitating referrals to appropriate internal and external health and social services.
- Collaborate with families and Community Service Providers to develop care plans for clients who are street homeless and/or residing in shelter or hotel.
- Liaise with physicians and Allied Health Care Professionals both internally and externally to build and maintain partnerships
- Provide as needed coverage for the Mobile Health Clinic
- Conduct on-site Community Nursing Clinics at key drop-in locations throughout the Peel Region.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and treatment planning review meetings and to provide the nursing perspective.
- In collaboration with the Physician and/or Nurse Practitioner, coordinate, schedule and administer medical assessments of client physical health, making appropriate referrals to community physicians for further assessment and treatment, and coordinate psychiatric treatment with medical treatment. Attend and actively participate in team meetings and other client-related and program meetings as required
Performance Management and Professional Development
- Stay current on relevant legislation and best practices, current research, policies and procedures
- Participate in ongoing professional development and mandatory training
- Serve as a role model to others by demonstrating a respectful and positive attitude towards individuals receiving support from CMHA Peel Dufferin representing the organization professionally
- Promote and demonstrate the Vision, Mission and Values of the organization within the workplace and the broader community
- Demonstrate a respectful and professional attitude and ensure the development and/or maintenance of a positive and supportive working relationship between departments/teams within CMHA Peel Dufferin and with external organizations, business and the broader community
- Work within the health and safety guidelines provided by the agency, which includes annual mandatory training requirements
Other Duties as Assigned
- Coordinate, attend, participate in team/staff meetings, and all-staff meetings as required
- Participate in agency quality improvement activities, e.g. accreditation projects, Information Systems Support and Privacy and Security committees, special events, etc.
- Participate in quality improvement activities at the team/program level
- Participate on agency and community committees external committees as highlighted as a personal interest or requested by manager.
- Undertake other duties as assigned from time to time
- Participate in direct, regular, formal supervision and work to have client representation in program operations and input into related policies
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping/documentation and client files, statistical and outcome measurement tools as required by CMHA/Peel policies and procedures.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Program team, and other program teams, internal and external to CMHA/Peel.
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- 2 to 3 years demonstrated Nursing experience in a background in Primary, Urgent and/or Critical Care
- Certification in First Aid, C.P.R., A.S.I.S.T is an asset
- Wound care and foot care certification is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience/interest in working with priority populations
- Understanding of homeless population and potential health issues is a must.
- Experience/interest in working with communities facing barriers to accessing health care due to poverty, social isolation, homelessness, mental health and/or substance use challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Solid interpersonal skills.
- Experience and comfort working with an electronic charting system
- Primary care health assessments and education
- Understanding of the social determinants of health as they impact persons experiencing homelessness
- Proven ability to problem solve effectively and independently.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Teams is an asset
- Experience with health program planning, implementation, and evaluation is an asset
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
Requirements of the Position
- Valid driver’s license
- Automobile in good repair and insurance coverage as required by agency policy
- Satisfactory police records search and vulnerable sector screening
- Satisfactory references
- Work in contact with individuals living with serious mental illness, issues of poverty and substance use
- The position may involve dealing with conflicting demands, angry, abusive, and/or threatening people on the phone and/or in person.
- Position will work both on the Mobile Health Clinic and inside shelters/drop-ins and other environment frequented by persons experiencing homelessness
- Lifting, carrying, handling of small objects and packages not normally exceeding 1-10 lbs., e.g., files, information brochures, small office equipment/tools.
- Sitting for long durations, e.g., meeting with people, driving, working at desk.
- Walking and standing for short durations.
- Staffs are exposed to various climates and attend at times locations which are unknown to them.
- Driving the Outreach van is required
CMHA/Peel Dufferin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA/Peel Dufferin will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates under the Human Rights Code and AODA. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.