Posting for Nurse Practitioner
Rapid Access Addiction Medicine
CMHA Peel Dufferin is recruiting for a Nurse Practitioner to serve clients in Peel Region and Dufferin County.
This is a full-time permanent position working 37.5 hours a week. The incumbent will work out of CMHA Peel Dufferin’s Orangeville/Bolton site. The position reports to the Program Manager, Rapid Access Addiction Medicine (RAAM) Program.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) will lead a multi-disciplinary team which will assess, diagnose, treat and monitor clients who use substances; recognizing that 50% will likely present with co-occurring mental health and physical health issues. Primary function of the NP is to assess and treat symptoms of substance use and facilitate connections to continuum of care to increase access to additional community-based services to address social determinants of health.
Overview of Program
The Rapid Access Model will allow for walk-in and planned appointments, thus promoting low access barriers for service. Priority group is men aged 25-50 with Opioid addictions and Opioid addiction/mental illness. Other Opioid addiction clients will be supported, and the clinic will increase capability to serve users seeking medical support for alcohol addiction.
Services will include Rapid Access Addictions Medicine (RAAM) Clinics that provide an addictions treatment pathway between emergency departments and primary care sector. The Clinic will provide clinical oversight pharmacotherapy prescribing, counselling, case management and outreach to increase access to additional community-based services.
The multi-disciplinary team will work through the Brampton/ Etobicoke and Area region, including Dufferin County and Mississauga. The program can accept client’s self-referral as well as referrals from a clinician or primary care physician. An initial consultation is followed by treatment planning, counselling, medication and referrals to community programs, follow up and on-going support to the client’s primary care physician.
Salary Range: $102,200 - $112,200 per year
CMHA Peel Dufferin offers a competitive overall compensation package which includes:
Four weeks paid vacation (accrued), Eighteen Paid personal days per year (accrued), Two Flexible Days annually, HOOPP pension plan, Professional development opportunities within the agency, Excellent benefits including Heath and Dental coverage, Employee Family Assistance Program and access to a wellness fund benefit.
- Sees clients with addictions and concurrent disorders at the clinic with or without scheduled and urgent appointments, and in the community through home visits, during regular and extended hours
- Works within the scope of practice of the RN (EC), performs a comprehensive health or symptom directed assessment of the client and synthesizes data from multiple sources to make diagnosis
- Ensures that standards of patient care are maintained according to the Standards of Nursing Practice, the Standards of Practice for Nurses in the Extended Class, as well as the Regulated Health Professionals Act and the Nurses' Act
- Spends adequate time with the client to determine the presence of existing and potential health problems, with a major focus on substances used, related lifestyle, psychological, sociocultural, and environmental risk factors which may influence the client’s health status, deals with these personally or by referral to or in consultation with, other health care providers and agencies/services
- Obtains appropriate physician consultation according to "The Expectations for Consultation with Physicians by Registered Nurses in the Extended Class" of the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Works collaboratively and in consultation with the collaborating physicians and specialists as defined in the RN(EC) scope of practice
- Determines the need for and orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures in accordance with an approved list or in conclusion with a physician where necessary; interprets the results of screening and diagnostic laboratory tests, within the scope of practice
- Prescribes drugs included in the Schedules of the Regulations to treat diseases or disorders within the RN(EC) scope of practice
- Provides advanced nursing care and treatment (including pharmacological complementary therapies and/or counselling interventions for health problem)
- Monitors the ongoing therapy of clients with addictions, chronic mental and physical illness by providing effective pharmacological, complementary, or counselling interventions
- Uses community assessment data to identify community needs and resources and develops, implements and evaluates appropriate programming
- Maintain accurate and timely records. Write reports, support letters, and chart summaries for transfer and/or legal purposes, as well as other related patient and workload measurement documents, as required
- Build capacity among primary care to transition clients for ongoing monitoring and treatment
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping /documentation and client files, statistical and outcome measurement tools as required by CMHA Policies and Procedures
- Participate on agency and community committees and working groups as requested by Manager
- Work effectively and collaboratively with other programs and services, internal and external to CMHA Peel Dufferin
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, as well as being a Registered Nurse Practitioner (RNEC) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Mental Health and/or Addictions in a community setting
- Psychiatric Nursing Certification is an asset
- Completed College Approved Controlled Substances Education Program
- Knowledge of (and adherence to) standards of professional nursing practice and patient care practice in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse Practitioner (RNEC)
- Knowledge and experience with people experiencing problematic substance misuse as well as illnesses and problems related to such misuse
- Experience with or knowledge of dual diagnosis & concurrent disorders is an asset
- Current CPR- Level C & AED certification
- Sound knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act, and other related legislation in Ontario
- Sound knowledge of psychotropic medications including usage and potential side effects
- Advanced knowledge of pharmacology in selecting, prescribing, monitoring and dispensing drugs
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships clients, community, partners and present the agency in a professional manner at all times
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills and ability to formally present information to individuals or groups
- Knowledge of French or any other second language reflecting the diversity of the CW-LHIN is an asset
- Ability to develop and deliver services that are sensitive to cultural diversity and are LGBTQ positive
- Ability to resolve complex client problems in order to ensure a high standard of nursing service
- Flexibility to adapt to change and ability to work independently when necessary
- Ability to minimize risks adhering to established policies and procedures
- Valid Ontario driver’s license, relevant vehicle insurance and access to a reliable vehicle
- Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook), Client Record Data systems, internet
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check) report
- Temporary remote work due to current pandemic, flexibility may be required to visit office following all safety precautions and measures
- This position covers the Orangeville/Bolton clinic; however, candidate must be able to provide coverage at the other regional clinics as needed
- Required to drive frequently in personal vehicle to allocated RAAM clinics within the Central West LHIN region and be available for coverage for other clinics as required
- Works in a medical clinic and office environment, may also be required to work in residential homes, doctors’ offices, and in the community
- Ability to work some evening shifts on a weekly basis
CMHA/Peel Dufferin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA Peel Dufferin will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process.