Community Support Worker (Outreach Program) - 1 Contract Position to March 2021
The Canadian Mental Health Association/Peel Branch is recruiting for one (1) Community Support Worker to work as part of a Housing First Project called “Home for Good in Peel”. This project is a collaboration between Services and Housing in the Province, Ontario Works, John Howard Society of Peel Dufferin, Salvation Army in Peel and CMHA.
This is a contract position until March 2021 (37.5 hours per week) and located at 314-7700 Hurontario Street office in Brampton.
Salary Band is $50,700 - $60,700 per year
CMHA Peel Dufferin offers a competitive overall compensation package which includes:
Two weeks paid vacation per year (accrued), Paid personal days per year (accrued), Two Flexible Days annually, HOOPP pension plan, Professional development opportunities within the agency, Excellent benefits including Heath and Dental coverage, Employee Family Assistance Program and access to a wellness fund benefit.
- Engage and identify potential candidates for the Home for Good pilot.
- Connect individuals with housing, including accompanying them to view potential housing options and being present on move-in day.
- Work with individuals to complete housing applications, apply for appropriate financial supports, etc.
- Facilitate start up shopping for basic groceries and household supplies upon move in
- Ongoing intensive case management with participants to set goals and create plans to reach those goals.
- Complete standard assessments and re-assessments at the appropriate date(s) and other documentation as required.
- Make additional referrals as appropriate.
- Maintain professional relationships with referral sources and other service providers.
- Minimum of weekly home visits with housed participants to offer support, connect to resources, etc.
- Advocacy with participants as required (i.e. Landlord relations, EIA, Residential Tenancy Board,
- Life skills teaching to help build Client capacity to maintain housing, especially focusing on tenancy skills and knowledge.
- Develop and maintain relationships with landlords to increase participants housing success and contribute to the creation of the Outreach Landlord List.
- Maintain accurate records and statistics, entering data into information systems as appropriate.
- Record hours and maintain detailed record of activities and files for program participants.
- Report monthly statistics for pilot project.
- Support the after-hours program functions such as the Outreach Van Shift and Street helpline.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in Social Services/Social Work. BSW is preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience with the homeless in an outreach or shelter setting
- At least 3 years of Case Management experience.
- Strong engagement and advocacy skills.
- Lived experience is an asset.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated understanding of mental illness
- Demonstrated skills in performing assessments and on the spot risk assessments
- Familiarity and knowledge of all programs offered by CMHA Peel, partnering agencies, and outside referral sources
- An understanding of Outreach evidence informed practices
- Non-violent crisis intervention, ASIST, CPR and First Aid Certification
- Must have a reliable vehicle, valid “G” driver’s license and relevant insurance
- Vulnerable Sector Criminal Police check required.
- Ability to work as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team, consisting of partner agencies
- Ability to work regular evening shifts, and some weekend shifts as needed.
CMHA/Peel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA/Peel will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.